Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fat Quarter Dog Bandana

Ok, so my stepmother loves bandanas for her dogs.  A lot of times they are specialty or monogrammed, but they can be pricey.  You can make a bandana for about 50-75 cents...using half of a fat quarter.

Step One:  Choose your fabric.  We were at Joann Fabrics and my husband saw this guitar print he liked, so I grabbed it without knowing exactly what I was going to do with it.  When I got home and looked at Brewer, I decided he needed a bandana!

Step Two: IRON IT.  I can't emphasize the importance of the iron enough.  I HATE ironing, usually I am a very wrinkled girl.  But, if you want to have a good, straight cut, then you must iron the fabric.  Even better would be a prewash and an iron, but beggars can't be choosers and I'm lazy.  So I skipped the wash and just hit it with the iron.

Step Three: Cut it.  I used my handy-dandy Fiskars rotary cutter and my Quilting Mate mat by June Tailor, Inc.




When you cut it, it does not have to be a perfect triangle.  Cut it so you cut your fat quarter in half on the diagonal, which ever way will give you the longest base.

Step Four: Sew it!  I am not really a pinner, more of a presser.  So, I simply folded it under about 1/4 inch and quickly pressed it into place.  Then I went ahead and sewed it using a straight stitch on my lovely Brother (project runway limited edition thank you so much Tony) sewing machine.  My husband bought me this sewing machine because in December we lost nearly everything we owned in a house fire.  It was awful, and one of the losses was the sewing machine I had. So my honey went out and bought me an upgrade!









After I was done, I tackled Brewer and put the bandana on (actually he sits like a good boy when he gets dressed)  Sew cute:)

1 comment:

  1. Supre cute! Too funny that we both posted these so close together. Even more funny, I happen to have that exact fabric! What a cute pup!

    ReplyDelete