Monday, May 16, 2011

Cute tote to cute purse, and another quilt!

My friend Diana (who is a self-proclaimed non-crafty person) asked if I could put a toggle or something on her little tote bag to make it a summer purse.

So, I went to Joann Fabrics with 40% off coupon in hand...but I didn't need it. The toggles were on clearance for fifty cents each.

Then, I made my own piping to have something to loop the toggle through. I used bias tape (on hand) and clothesline (courtesy of my mother in law earlier that day).

I simply pinned the bias tape around the cord:

Then I stitched as close to the cord as possible

I sewed a loop of piping on back, then after three attempts finally attached the toggle. It's off kilter to begin with, so I couldn't get it straight...so Tony had to help me. I used a piece of seam binding to go through the holes, then sewed them onto the center of the front. Voila! Cute little pursey thing.

And now for my quilt.

I just want to mention that the flannel heart fabric and denim with hearts were hideous huge pieces my Nana gave my mom who said "take them" because she didn't like them...so I made a quilt for ME!!

I started out by measuring and deciding that I could get the "most" out of the fabric by making 12.5" squares
And then I added my applique's and sewed the squares together.

Note I added double-scoop ice cream cones, and since the quilt is for me (and not a baby) button "cherries" on the cupcakes.

I had initially thought I would have enough flannel or denim for the border...but I didn't.  Then I remembered the big bag of fabric my friend Karen had brought me.  I had remembered seeing a large white piece in there...but when I pulled it out it was actually the bottom of a couch slipcover.  So, I adapted.  I ripped out the corner seams


I cut it into 8" strips and ended up with two pieces that were perfect for the sides at 60".  Then I found that two were perfect for the top, after the sides are added.  So I sewed on the sides first, then added the top.

Here is the quilt before washing (un-frayed)

Then I clipped and washed it...here are some pics including close-ups of the squares:

So, there's my latest creations!!

Other things I've been up to:
Entering giveaways!!
Check out the spellbinder's giveaway at Favecrafts.com

I don't think this will hyperlink...but go to fave crafts and enter to win!


No comments:

Post a Comment