Thursday, March 3, 2011

How to snazz up an altoids container

Arrgumph.  I had this all typed out and lost the whole thing in cyberspace....oh well.  Here goes again.

So, many of you might have altoids, sucrets, and other handy little tins lying around the house.  I have a special affection for these tins.  The reason is...they can survive a fire and protect the contents inside. 

In December my family suffered a house fire.  I lost *gasp* almost all of my craft supplies, including my sewing machine.  It was heartbreaking, and I felt a deep sense of loss.  I thank God everyday it was a "fixable" problem, and that nobody was hurt.  Nonetheless, the important fact is that the things I had in various altoids and sucrets tins survived the fire just fine.  I opened up the charred tins and, wham!  My buttons were unscathed.  Some of the really flimsy plastic ones were a tad melted....but other than that they were fine! 


So since I have a super long day on Thursdays between teaching seventh grade during the day, and teaching alternative high school biology at night...I figured I would put up this simple little project that I have been working on.

Step One: Paint your tin using acrylic paint.  I chose a nice honeysuckle pink, since apparently that will be the "color of the year" for 2011.  I'm lying.  I chose it because I liked the pink and then later saw a blog post about the honeysuckle.  Make sure you let it dry for a long time between coats.  If your making a few at a time, employ the "assembly line" method.  Paint them all at once, then let them dry for a few hours.




Step Two:  Choose your scrapbook paper, or you could use magazines, etc.  Trace the lid onto the back of the paper, and glue it on using a nice glue.  I love my Aleene's tacky glue.  I painted it on to both the lid and the paper, and I put some weight on it to let it dry.


Step Three: Using a craft knife, cut around the edges.  Make sure you don't have any sort of a paper overhang.  I like to use the cheap, hardware store, snap off utility knifes.  I have always used them since I tend to lose things, and I like their retractable feature (which the exacto doesn't have).


Step Four:  Apply Mod Podge all over.  Let it dry.  You can apply several coats. 
can you tell my son took this picture? Actually, he took like six, and this was the best of the worst!




Step Five: Add some glossy accents to the top.  It gives a nice shiny finish, and protects the top.  It can be found in the stamp aisle....I used a brush to give it some depth.


Step Six: Store your trinkets in the cute little box...that way they can be protected from fire, etc;)

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! Now I want to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Trisha! Apparently making containers is my specialty;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooo cool!!! Haha i love the pic one of the kids took :) but seiously, thats awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete